Acupuncture for Male Fertility
Mr. P.L had the sperm count and mobility at the low borderline levels, so he decided to have acupuncture to enhance little P.L’s performances to increase possibility of fertilization.
We started the acupuncture in mid October 2018, and only after 3 treatments on 17th October, 2nd and 17th November, changes of sperm count and motility on 19th November are:
Semen Volume (ml): 5.0 (Before acupuncture), 5.7 (After)
Sperm Concentration (Millions): 16.0 (Before acupuncture), 18.8 (After)
Total Motility (%): 40 (Before acupuncture), 63 (After)
- Pre-testicular Issues: Overweight, Emotional disorders, Improper diet, Aging and Imbalanced hormones;
- Testicular Conditions: Chromosomal disorders, Testicular trauma&diseases, Heat, Infections, Prior malaria or mumps, Poor sperm quality&quantity;
- Post-testicular Conditions: Hernia surgery complications, Erectile or ejaculative dysfunctions.
1. Acupuncture increased the percentage of sperm with rapid progression and sperm concentration;
*Jerng, U. M., Jo, J.-Y., Lee, S., Lee, J.-M. & Kwon, O. The effectiveness and safety of acupuncture for poor semen quality in infertile males: a systematic review and meta-analysis. Asian Journal of Andrology 16, 884-891, doi:10.4103/1008-682X.129130 (2014).
2. Sperm concentration and motility improved significantly in both acupuncture and surgery group for varicocele patients, with higher sperm concentration in the acupuncture group(P = 0.039);
*Kucuk, E. V., Bindayi, A., Boylu, U., Onol, F. F. & Gumus, E. Randomised clinical trial of comparing effects of acupuncture and varicocelectomy on sperm parameters in infertile varicocele patients. Andrologia 48, 1080-1085, doi:10.1111/and.12541 (2016).
3. Acupuncture has potential positive effect on sperm maturity, quality and fertilizing ability;
*Ho, L. M. et al. A single-arm pilot study on effects of acupuncture treatment on semen parameters of subfertile Singaporean men. Asian Pacific Journal of Reproduction 4, 266-271, doi:https://doi.org/10.1016/j.apjr.2015.07.004 (2015).
4. Acupuncture could be beneficial for acrosome position and shape, nuclear shape, axonemal pattern and shape, and accessory fibers of spermatozoa on idiopathic male infertility;
*Pei, J. Quantitative evaluation of spermatozoa ultrastructure after acupuncture treatment for idiopathic male infertility. Fertility and Sterility 84, 141-147, doi:10.1016/j.fertnstert.2004.12.056 (2005).
5. Neural stimulation by acupuncture might affect testicle and epididymis vasodilation.
*Gurfinkel, E., Cedenho, A. P., Yamamura, Y. & Srougi, M. Effects of acupuncture and moxa treatment in patients with semen abnormalities. Asian Journal Of Andrology 5, 345-348 (2003).
The benefits of acupuncture in improving fertility are reflected in improved mental and physical health. Often people respond just as positively in terms of their mental state as in their physical condition. In other words, not only are fertility and validity improved by acupuncture, but also a person’s sense of calm, their ability to cope with stress, and stabilization of mood, are greatly enhanced. This helps them to cope with the possible negative results of fertility treatment.
Dr. Jenny Li (CN)* has an advanced degree (PhD) of Acupuncture from China, and has practiced for 25 years in both China and New Zealand in the area of Chinese Medical Gynaecology and its applications for infertility, natural fertility and women’s health. Dr. Jenny (CN)* and the Natural Harmony fertility team offer individualised treatment plans using Acupuncture and Chinese herbal medicine for couples who are preparing to conceive and women who have fertility issues.
What one of our patients had to say
“Make Jenny the first to call”
*Dr. Jenny Li holds a PhD of Acupuncture in Gynaecology and Fertility from China, and is also a registered physician in China.